Tremont is a neighborhood on the West Side of Cleveland, Ohio. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the district sits south of the Ohio City neighborhood. It is bounded by the Cuyahoga Valley to the north and east, MetroHealth medical center to the south, and West 25th Street and Columbus Road to the west. Tremont is one of Cleveland’s oldest neighborhoods and was historically home to many immigrant groups, including Germans, Greeks, and East Slavs. It has numerous historic churches, including Pilgrim Congregational UCC (founded in 1859), St. Augustine (1893), St. John Cantius (1898), and St. Theodosius Russian Orthodox Cathedral (1912). The neighborhood has seen significant growth in recent decades and is today home to many restaurants and art galleries.
History
Tremont was originally part of Brooklyn Township and, from 1836 until 1854, was a section of what is now its sister neighborhood, Ohio City when the latter was an independent town. Cleveland, OH later annexed both, but Tremont remained in 1867. During the early 1850s, the now defunct Cleveland University briefly occupied a section of Tremont. In fact, before being named Tremont, the neighborhood was briefly known as University Heights (not to be confused with the eastern Cleveland suburb of the same name). However, vestiges of the neighborhood’s days as a college town remain in streets with literary terms, such as Professor, Literary, College, and University. The early 20th century saw an influx of East Slavic immigrants (Ukrainians, Rusyns, Russians, and Belarusians) seeking work in the area’s steel mills. By 1920, Tremont was home to over 36,000 residents. However, the population began to decline steadily in the 1960s. With the loss of manufacturing jobs, particularly in Cleveland’s steel industry, culminating in the recession of the early 1980s, Tremont’s population dwindled. By the 2000 census, there were fewer than 9,000 residents. Bed Bug Exterminator Cleveland
Lemko Hall
The historic hall served as a social gathering place for the one-time sizable concentration of East Slavic Lemko immigrants from the region of Lemkovina who lived in Tremont. Today it is a mixed-use (retail and condominiums) structure and a city landmark. It is most famous for being the site of the wedding reception in the 1978 film, The Deer Hunter.
Duck Island
Bisected by Abbey Avenue, Duck Island is a popular sub-neighborhood within Tremont. Carnegie Avenue bounds it to the north, the RTA Red Line to the west, Scranton Road to the east, and Train Avenue to the south. It is not a physical island and has ” nothing to do with ducks.” The name is said to have entered common usage in Cleveland during Prohibition when Duck Island became “a place where bootleggers would ‘duck’ the law.”
Check out different neighborhoods like Asiatown